How to choose tiles
How many types of tiles are there?
Based on the classification by water absorbency of the CNS9737 standard, tiles are classified into:
Category Ia: Water absorbency below 0.5%.
Category Ib: Water absorbency below 3.0%.
Category II: Water absorbency below 10.0%.
Category III: Water absorbency below 50.0%.
What are properties of tiles? What do they mean?
Size: Standardized size can save construction time and looks tidy and beautiful.
Water absorbency: Tiles with a lower absorbency will be less likely to crack or spall as a result of thermal expansion caused by weather.
Breaking strength: The higher the value, the greater the breaking resistance of tiles, and the higher the bending strength.
Wear resistance: Grades 0-5. The higher the value, the greater the wear resistance, and the lower the risk of wear.
Stain resistance: Grades 1-5. The higher the value, the easier to clean according to the stain resistance test.
Chemical resistance: Grades A-C. Surface changes after acid/alkaline immersion tests. Grade A is the best, suggesting that the tile surface remains unchanged after immersion in acid/alkaline.
How to choose tiles
What should be considered when choosing tiles?
While tiles can be used for decades after tiling, customers are advised to select tiles carefully.
Following are the advice below to choose suitable choosing tiles:
1. Brand history and reputation
Time refines craftsmanship of making tiles. A brand with more than half century history symbolizes that the brand is in possession of the maturity and competencies in producing ceramic tiles, which makes a trustworthy brand to choose. A brand with a history of 70 years and a sound reputation suggests it can stand the test of time and consumerscustomers. It’s a brand you can trust!
2. CNS certification and marks
Currently,Porcelain tiles with quality certification suggest that are of quality guarantee of the authority. for porcelain tiles Those certification include the CNS, Green Mark, and Taiwan-made Product MIT Smile Logo, and ISO-9001. The CNS, Green Mark, and Taiwan-made Product MIT Smile Logo and passing ISO-9001 certification mean the best protection from the country.
3. National recognition by nationaland awards
CurrentlySo far, the Taiwan Excellence Awards is the highest honor for industries in Taiwan. Domestic and overseas experts will stringently benchmark entries in terms of five aspects: R&Dproduct development, design, quality, marketing, and made-in-Taiwan. Apart from an example of quality excellence for industries in Taiwan, the Taiwan Excellence Awards enables winners to represent Taiwan and enjoy high reputation across the world.
In addition to brand reputation, national certification and accreditation, and national awardssuggested items listed above, a commitment for product warranty suggests more complete after-sales service for consumerscustomers and re-assurance for product quality and safety. These mean multiple protection for customers.
What are proper precautions for purchasing tiles?
Material loss is the first thing to notice when purchasing tiles. Given the inevitability of loss from cutting or waste in tiling, customers are advised to purchase 5-10% more to cover such loss. By doing so, customers can prevent color difference when purchasing additional tiles afterwards
What tiles should we choose for living rooms?
Modern people long for a space that can relieve stress and keep them peaceful in a hard day’s night after working like a dog. Therefore, a refreshing, relaxing, and conformable atmosphere free from stress is what a living room needs. Follow the advice below to choose suitable tiles:
1. Size: The living room is usually the largest space at home. Therefore, consumerscustomers may choose tiles of larger sizes, such as 80×80cm, 60×60cm, 15×75cm, or 15×90cm to present a spacious feeling. For living rooms below 40m2 (12 Japanese tsubo), 60×60cm or smaller tiles are recommended to reduce excessive loss from cutting and waste and thereby save costs.
2. Color: A combination of tiles with a darker tone and furniture with a lighter tone is recommended for larger living rooms. For smaller living rooms, tiles with a lighter tone is recommended to enlarge the spatial vision.
3. Type: A living room is the most used space of all family members. If there are children and seniors at home, glazed porcelain tiles are recommended for their wear and stain resistance.
What tiles should we choose for kitchens?
Cleanliness is the prime concern of kitchens. Therefore, easy maintenance should be the first thing to consider. Follow the advice below to choose suitable tiles:
1. Size: Kitchens usually have smaller space. Therefore, tiles of smaller sizes are recommended to prevent abrupt look, reduce material loss, and lower the cost.
2. Color: Tiles with a lighter tone are recommended to create a brighter and cleaner visual effect and reduce the sense of crowdedness. For more changes, tiles with a lighter tone matching with tiles with simple patterns and accessories in smaller areas are recommended to bring a light-up effect.
3. Type: Grease and slipping are the commonmay cause dangers in kitchens. Therefore, wall and -to-floor tile packages are recommended. As these packages comprise easy-to-clean wall tiles and anti-slip floor tiles, they are the best options to ensure easy cleaning and safety.
What tiles should we choose for bathrooms?
Moisture is the common problem of bathrooms. Therefore, foundation waterproof works should be completed before tiling. In addition, quality sealants should be used to keep the bathroom refreshing and clean at all times. Follow the advice below to choose suitable tiles:
1. Size: Bathrooms usually have smaller space. Therefore, tiles of smaller sizes are recommended to reduce material loss and lower the cost. In addition, in tile matching, tiles of smaller sizes bring better anti-slip effect with seams, allow better control of drainage gradient, ensure convenient tiling, and give a better look.
2. Color: Tiles with a lighter tone are recommended. Light colors bring an expansion effect to enhance the sense of brightness and the sense of space of bathrooms.
3. Type: Fungus as a result of moisture is a common bathroom problem. Therefore, tiles with lower water absorbency are recommended. For example, the glazed porcelain tile and the porcelain tile are better options.
4. Slipping: Tiles with a grooved surface, such as peel and stick floor tiles and wood effect floor tiles, are recommended. Along with the small-size design, the anti-slipping effect will be better.
What to prepare for tiling?
First, draw up a tiling plan to minimize material loss. Second, after receiving tiles, take a few pieces for a quality and color check. Lastly, keep some tiles for future maintenance and repair.
Can we skip seams between tiles?
Due to the expansion difference among the structure, the bonding layer, and tiles, when no seam (expansion joint) is reserved, there is no room for tiles to expand, and tile flooring will buckle and crack as a result of squeezing. Therefore, we must leave seams between tiles. For trimmed tiles, we recommend a 2-3mm seam between tiles. For untrimmed tiles, we recommend a 3-5mm between tiles.
What should we do when there are drains or switches when tiling?
When there are drains or switches, we recommend workers to cut the hole for them with an uncut tile and avoid patching with fragmented tiles. In addition to safety, this can maintain a good look.